Sang-il Oum (엄상일)
Associate Professor, Dept. of Mathematical Sciences, KAIST
291 Daehak-ro Yuseong-gu Daejeon 34141 South Korea
Email: kaist.edu after sangil@
Office: Room 3403 located at the 3rd floor of the building E6-1
Ph.D. from Princeton Univeristy, 2005. Advisor: Paul Seymour.
B.S. from KAIST, 1998. Visiting Assistant Professor at Georgia Institute of Technology, 2005-2006. Postdoctoral fellow at University of Waterloo, 2007. KAIST since 2008.
Graph Theory, Combinatorics, Combinatorial Optimization, Graph Algorithms. Structural Graph Theory, Width Parameters, etc.
- Unavoidable vertex-minors in large prime graphs (with O-joung Kwon), European J. Combin. 41(October 2014), pp. 100-127.
- Rank-width and Well-quasi-ordering of skew-symmetric or symmetric matrices, Linear Algebra Appl. 436(April 1, 2012)(7), pp. 2008-2036.
- Finding Branch-decompositions and Rank-decompositions (with Petr Hliněný). SIAM J. Comput. 38 (2008) (3), pp. 1012-1032.
- Approximating Clique-width and Branch-width (with Paul Seymour). J. Combin. Theory, Ser. B 96 (2006) (4), pp. 514-528.
Post-doctoral positions at KAIST
If you are interested in becoming a post-doctoral researcher working with me, then please contact me. You can also send me 1) your cover letter, 2) CV, 3) research statement, and 4) arrange at least 2 letters of recommendations sent to my email. (By regulation, you should have your Ph.D. degree ready on the first day of your work.— The Ph.D. defense is not enough.)
For students interested in being a graduate student, please visit the website of KAIST office of admissions.
KAIST Discrete Math Seminar
Current Graduate Students
Former Graduate Students
- O-joung Kwon (권오정). Ph.D. 2015.8., M.S. 2012.8. (Hungarian Academy of Sciences)
- Ralph Bottesch. M.S. 2010.8. (Graduate Student at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore)
- Joohyun Cho (조주현). M.S. 2010.8. (Daechi Miraetamgu Hakwon 대치미래탐구학원)
- Joonkyung Lee (이준경). M.S. 2010.2. (Graduate Student at Oxford University, 2013.10-)
- Ringi Kim (김린기). M.S. 2011.8. (Graduate Student at Princeton University)
- Seongmin Ok (옥성민). M.S. 2012.2. (Ph.D. at Technical University of Denmark)
- Geewon Suh (서기원). M.S. Student. 2016.2.
- Tony Huynh 2011.9-2012.8. Ph.D. at University of Waterloo 2009, Advisor: Jim Geelen. (Université Libre de Bruxelles)
- Maryam Verdian-Rizi 2011.9-2013.8. Ph.D. at Simon Fraser University 2011, Advisor: Luis A. Goddyn.
- Jaehoon Kim (김재훈) 2014.6.-2014.8. Ph.D. at UIUC 2014, Advisor: Alexandr V. Kostochka. (University of Birmingham)
- Younjin Kim (김연진) 2012.9-2015.8. Ph.D. at UIUC 2011, Advisor: Zoltán Füredi. (Ewha Womans University)
Curriculum Vitae (Last update: May 14, 2015)