Sang-il Oum (엄상일)
Professor, Dept. of Mathematical Sciences, KAIST
291 Daehak-ro Yuseong-gu Daejeon 34141 South Korea
Email: kaist.edu after sangil@
Office: Room 3403 located at the 3rd floor of the building E6-1
Ph.D. from Princeton Univeristy, 2005. Advisor: Paul Seymour.
B.S. from KAIST, 1998. Visiting Assistant Professor at Georgia Institute of Technology, 2005-2006. Postdoctoral fellow at University of Waterloo, 2007. KAIST since 2008.
Graph Theory, Matroid Theory, Combinatorics, Combinatorial Optimization, Graph Algorithms. Structural Graph Theory, Width Parameters, etc.
- Unavoidable vertex-minors in large prime graphs (with O-joung Kwon), European J. Combin. 41(October 2014), pp. 100-127.
- Rank-width and Well-quasi-ordering of skew-symmetric or symmetric matrices, Linear Algebra Appl. 436(April 1, 2012)(7), pp. 2008-2036.
- Finding Branch-decompositions and Rank-decompositions (with Petr Hliněný). SIAM J. Comput. 38 (2008) (3), pp. 1012-1032.
- Approximating Clique-width and Branch-width (with Paul Seymour). J. Combin. Theory, Ser. B 96 (2006) (4), pp. 514-528. (Classic Papers of 2006 in Discrete Mathematics by Google Scholar)
- A founding member of Y-KAST (Young Korean Academy of Science and Technology), 2017.
- Young Scientist Award (젊은과학자상), President of Korea. 2012.
- Outstanding New Young Researcher Support Program (우수신진연구자지원사업), National Research Foundation of Korea, 2011.
- TJ Park Junior Faculty Fellowship (청암과학펠로), POSCO TJ Park Foundation, November 25, 2009.
Post-doctoral positions at KAIST
If you are interested in becoming a post-doctoral researcher working with me, then please contact me. You can also send me 1) your cover letter, 2) CV, 3) research statement, and 4) arrange at least 2 letters of recommendations sent to my email. (By regulation, you should have your Ph.D. degree ready on the first day of your work.— The Ph.D. defense is not enough.)
For students interested in being a graduate student, please visit the website of KAIST office of admissions.
KAIST Discrete Math Seminar
Robert Brignall, Hojin Choi, Ilkyoo Choi, Suyoung Choi, Maria Chudnovsky, Bruno Courcelle, Reinhard Diestel, Katherine Edwards, Fedor V. Fomin, Tomáš Gavenčiak, Jim Geelen, Georg Gottlob, Illya V. Hicks, Petr Hliněný, Tony Huynh, Jisu Jeong, Dong Yeap Kang, Eunjung Kim, Jaehoon Kim, Ringi Kim, Sang-hyun Kim, Younjin Kim, Andrew D. King, Daniel Kráľ, Stephan Kreutzer, O-joung Kwon, Choongbum Lee, Joonkyung Lee, Sang June Lee, Chun-Hung Liu, Mikiya Masuda, Patrice Ossona de Mendez, Christophe Paul, Ignasi Sau, Sigve Hortemo Sæther, Detlef Seese, Dimitrios M. Thilikos, Paul Seymour, Dominic van der Zypen, Martin Vatshelle, Maryam Verdian-Rizi, Paul Wollan, David R. Wood.
Curriculum Vitae (Last update: September 24, 2017)